Sunday 17 February 2008

The Escape

For the past few days, I've been working on a painting called "The Escape", so called because it depicts a tree escaping from its frame. I'd bought a second-hand frame I bought from a charity shop, and took a while deciding what to do with it. I remembered an idea I'd had for continuing a painting onto its frame, so I made a start:

First I sanded the varnish off the frame:

Frame 1

Then added some woodstain:

Frame 2

After adding a thin coat of blue woodstain, I painted some branches onto the green, using glass outliner:

Frame 3

After painting the piece to go inside this frame:

Tree for Frame

I then added a trunk onto the green, using glass outliner, and painted a coppery brown within the outliner:

Frame 4

After that I felt that it perhaps needed more blue, to balance out the inside, so I tried a couple of things:

Frame with butterflies Frame with birds

In the end, however, I decided not to add birds or butterflies.

To finish the piece I wrapped some copper wire around the frame to hang it from. The curves and colours of the copper I feel compliment the glass outliner on the frame:

The Escape - a mixed media painting

This piece is for sale here on DaWanda.

No comments: